Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene photos: Milford, Connecticut, August 28, 2011...

Storm Chasing

These are some photos taken this morning between 9 AM and 12 PM mainly of the Woodmont Beach area of Milford, Connecticut, during the tail end of Hurricane Irene.
My wife, son and sister in law handled the photo taking while I evaded the trees and downed wires with the car. Pretty impressive waves in the Anchor Beach section of town. Unfortunately, the home of one my co-workers who lives right on the water saw his house basically get pummeled by the waves. It appears the side of his house facing the ocean was washed away along with the furniture on the first floor. He was alright physically but I know it had to be a tough thing to witness his home being destroyed. I'll let the photos speak for themselves for the most part.

Click on photos for larger image

First, some pictures from Anchor Beach...






No clue who this is...






Father and son...


The wife sneaks into the shot...


Mike takes a breather...


On the West Haven border on New Haven Avenue...




Elaine washes up on shore...


Ant's dilemma. His house is barely visible on the very right edge of the photo...



Ant talks it over. His house is to the left behind the home in the foreground...


Ant gets ready to take the plunge...


Ant trying to save some furniture as it rushes by...


There goes Ant's sofa...


How's Walker going to get to Baker's?



Looking toward Point Beach...




Morningside...



Sloppy Jose's...


Over by Calf Pen Meadow...


Driving Miss Daisy(Grammy)...

4 comments:

  1. What incredible pictures, Wally! I can't believe the devastation....your poor friend...we just got our power back tonight! Thank goodness. Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day,

    My name is Allan Martell, and I'm studying a master in Digital Media at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm writing you to ask for your permission to use the entry titled "Hurricane Irene photos: Milford, Connecticut, August 28, 2011...", published on August 28, 2011 on the blog How The Hell Should I Know (http://howthehellshouldiknow-wallyworld.blogspot.com/2011/08/hurricane-irene-photos-milford-conn.html).


    My graduation project is an interactive map of stories about hurricane Irene. It's intended to motivate people at risk of disasters (such as hurricanes) to start thinking what to do about them now, instead of waiting until they are about to happen, which most people do. The project will show a map with the trajectory of hurricane Irene, and different search criteria to access stories within the map. Those stories can be annotated with comments from other users different than the author's story, in a similar way a blog entry can be commented. In my system though, the intent is to purposefully direct the discussed topic on how to handle disasters taking each story as a starting point.

    One of my graduation requirements is to demo my project to my committee. For that purpose, I've built a database of blog-posts to fill in the system. I'd like to add your story to that database. I can provide an image of the interface design if you want to have an Idea how your story would look like if included there.

    If you grant me permission, your entry will be used exclusively for non-commercial and educational purposes while the project remains in its demo phase. If this project is ever used for other purposes different than a demo, your blog-entry will not be included.

    I'd really appreciate if you allowed me to use your experience from Hurricane Irene to make a better project, and potentially help other people in the future.

    Thanks,

    Allan Martell
    allan.martell@gatech.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!

    Allan

    ReplyDelete